bulletBrunel Engine HousebulletThe Thames Tunnel bulletIsambard Kingdom Brunelbullet Marc Brunel bulletTunnel Shaft  AnniversariesEventbullet

bullet Mail Us bullet Linksbullet The Miner's Life Exhibitionbullet



5 December 1834

Government paid £30009. Ist installment of £24,6000 loan. Plans can now go ahead to re-open the tunnel.

6 December 1869

East London Railway between Wapping &Shadwell and New Cross opened. There were intermediate stations at Rotherhithe (approximately 200 feet south of the shaft) and at Deptford Road. William Hawes, chairman of the Thames Tunnel Company was chairman of the East London Railway.

7 December 1869

The first train passed through the tunnel. 23 trains each way passed through the tunnel every day.

11 December 1819

Agreement concluded with "The Times" newspaper to use Marc Isambard Brunel's improved printing press

13 December 1841

The shield reached the shaft at Wapping.

12 December 1849

Sir Marc Isambard Brunel died at the age of 80.

28 December 1864.

Clifton Suspension Bridge designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel opened.

The chains from Brunel's Hungerford Bridge were salvaged when it was demolished to make way for the 'new' Railway Bridge at Charing Cross. These chains are incorporated into the Clifton Suspension Bridge

See other Anniversaries

Last updated on 01/12/2001